Keep checking back as we continually update this page. Contact us with any suggestions or queries.
World Health Organization Clinical Guidance
- “Pregnancy, childbirth, postpartum and newborn care: A guide for essential practice (3rd edition)” available in English and Slovenian
- “WHO recommendations on antenatal care for a positive pregnancy experience” available in English, French, Russian, Spanish: https://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/maternal_perinatal_health/anc-positive-pregnancy-experience/en/
- “Managing complications in pregnancy and childbirth: a guide for midwives and doctors” https://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/documents/managing-complications-pregnancy-childbirth/en/
Additional Important Resources
- Tune in to our Indigenous Midwives conversation, co-hosted by ICM, the Wilson Center’s Maternal Health Initiative and UNFPA, and featuring a panel of Indigenous midwives from around the world. Listen to the recording here
- Resources from the Pregnancy Loss Research Group (PLRG) at University College Cork
- Resources from Tommy’s stillbirth research centre in St Mary’s Hospital in Manchester https://www.tommys.org/pregnancy-information/health-professionals
- Safer Baby Bundle at Stillbirth Collaborative Research Centre https://www.stillbirthcre.org.au/safer-baby-bundle/
- IMPROVE is a new online training package designed to support healthcare professionals in responding to women who have experienced stillbirth, conduct perinatal autopsy and mortality reviews, and communicate with bereaved parents.
- Resources on bereavement support for fathers, from ISA board member Francine de Montigny at the University of Quebec (also available in French and subtitled in Portuguese):
- The youtube documentary “Helping Men in Distress” illustrates ways to create a bond of trust with men in crisis, and to help them in their distress. Through the testimony of seven health and social service practitioners – nurses, a social worker, a physician, a psychotherapist, educators, researchers – this 17 minute video illustrates different emotions and reactions that men can experience. The practitioners share their way of establishing a relationship of trust with a man in crisis and propose interventions to reach men who are entrenched in silence, who are depressed, living a bereavement experience, aggressive or angry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROKgjOXh47g
Research related to prevention of stillbirth and neonatal death
Effect of a quality improvement package for intrapartum and immediate newborn care on fresh stillbirth and neonatal mortality among preterm and low-birthweight babies in Kenya and Uganda: a cluster-randomised facility-based trial D Walker et al. Lancet Glob Health 2020; 8: e1061–70
Sociocultural, political, and health system-related determinants of perinatal deaths in Jordan from the perspectives of health care providers: a qualitative study. Khader YS, Bawadi H, Khasawneh W, Alyahya MS, Shattnawi K, Al-Sheyab NA, Al Obeisat S, Asad M, Khatatneh K, Alkhdour MM, Al-Hamdan Z, Batieha A. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2020 Jul 29;1-10.
Invitation to participate in the WAVES Study, a comprehensive survey of mothers worldwide (with and without a baby infected by group B streptococcus) to help identify the gaps in care and communication regarding group B strep (GBS) disease in babies. More info is at gbs-intl.org/WAVES