Keep checking back as we continually update this page. Contact us with any suggestions or queries or for further support.
ISA Board chair Susannah Hopkins Leisher just published this Op Ed about her experience of her son Wilder’s stillbirth plus a call for recognition, answers, support, collaboration, and action on stillbirth!
IMPROVE is a new online training package designed to support healthcare professionals in responding to women who have experienced stillbirth, conduct perinatal autopsy and mortality reviews, and communicate with bereaved parents.
Name your stillborn baby; join the Each Egg A World project.
Listen to this podcast: the first of a new series by Ashleigh Smith The Glimmer Podcast: Should we all see a psychologist after pregnancy loss? on Apple Podcasts
And this one: Ashleigh Smith interviews Claire Storey, ISA board member The Glimmer Podcast: The International Organization working to reduce baby-loss
This Father’s Day, Marquise and Morgan Goodwin share their story of the loss of their three babies.
Katy Gold, former ISA board chair, is interviewed in this article from The Atlantic about changing practices around stillbirth bereavement support in Denmark.
Resources on bereavement support for fathers, from ISA board member Francine de Montigny at the University of Quebec (also available in French and subtitled in Portuguese):
- The youtube documentary “Helping Men in Distress” illustrates ways to create a bond of trust with men in crisis, and to help them in their distress. Through the testimony of seven health and social service practitioners – nurses, a social worker, a physician, a psychotherapist, educators, researchers – this 17 minute video illustrates different emotions and reactions that men can experience. The practitioners share their way of establishing a relationship of trust with a man in crisis and propose interventions to reach men who are entrenched in silence, who are depressed, living a bereavement experience, aggressive or angry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROKgjOXh47g
Chrissy Teigen breaks a long-standing culture of silence by sharing her loss
Ali Xanda has produced a wonderful song called “Heartbeat” about miscarriage/stillbirth for those who have loved and lost their precious babies: listen to it here
Executive Summary of the Lancet’s 2016 Ending Preventable Stillbirths series:
For Parents/Families: Glow in the Woods
- From ISA board member Francine de Montigny at the University of Quebec (also available in French and subtitled in Portuguese): The Father Friendly Initiative team has published a video on men’s experience of their child’s death, When the storm hits. Five fathers share their experience of their child’s death and the tools that have helped them. This video is available for men and women to view in the comfort of their home. It also aims to support training for the health and social care milieu, as well as community organizations.
- Dr Aliki Christou at the University of Sydney and team have developed interviewer guidelines for interviewing bereaved mothers and fathers in Afghanistan; please email her at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information or to access these. You can access the training manual here: Stillbirth study Afghanistan_Training Manual for Interviewers_v1.1_10.10.17
Country resources for information and support after stillbirth:
- In the UK:
- Former ISA Board chair Dr Alex Heazell is Clinical Director of the Tommy’s stillbirth research centre in St Mary’s Hospital in Manchester
- SANDS UK was a partner for ISA’s conferences in Birmingham, UK (2007) and Antigua (2011)
- National Bereavement Care Pathway (NBCP) for Pregnancy and Baby Loss
- NBCP Scotland
- In Spain:
- Umamanita, co-founded by ISA board member Jillian Cassidy
- In Italy:
- In the US:
- In the UK: